Are Grapes and Raisins Toxic to Dogs?
Dogs always prefer eating Human food; at least mine does! And there are a lot of fruits and veggies they can safely eat. While some can be a nutritious, yummy treat for your puppy, others can cause serious harm.
Are grapes and raisins toxic to dogs? The short answer is YES. Many pet parents don’t know that grapes and raisins are highly toxic for these little cuties and can lead to serious reactions such as stomach pain, diarrhea, and kidney failure.
In this article, I will give you more information on grape and raisin toxicity in dogs, symptoms, and treats.
You can find more about raisins on our other blog posts on A Complete Guide on Raisins, The Side Effects of Eating too many Raisins, The Sugar Content of Raisins, How to Cook with Raisins, Interesting Facts About Raisins.
The Toxicity of Raisins and Grapes
A digital animal toxicity database helped veterinarians to notice a trend in 1989 by observing that in some cases of unexpected kidney failure dogs shared a common history: consuming raisins or grapes just before the kidney failure.
The type of raisin or grape doesn’t matter, and the amount eaten can be a single serving of raisins or grapes, a single grape or raisin, or a pound or more of them. Raisins are more dangerous because they are the dried version of grapes and much more concentrated.
Researchers are still analyzing to discover what the actual toxin is in the fruit that dogs are reacting to. So, it remains unknown.
Raisin/Grape Toxicity Symptoms in Dogs
The Researches have not classified grape toxicity details, or how much of the fruit can be dangerous for dogs, which means there’s no real way to tell how serious or mild a dog can react to this consumption.
If your dog has eaten raisins or grapes, you may observe some of these symptoms:
- Vomiting (usually in few hours after eating grapes, with partially digested raisins.)
- Fatigue, Weakness
- Not Eating and decreased appetite
- Stomach Pain
- Too much thirst and urination
- Halitosis (with a chemical odor)
- Seizures (in serious toxicity)
- Gastrointestinal Failure or Acute Renal (in serious toxicity)
- Coma (in serious toxicity)
There are a few foods and fruits that you shouldn’t feed them to your dog, and grapes are one of them:
What to do if Your Dog Eats a Raisin or Grape?
The moment you find out your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, you should immediately contact your veterinarian. Prognosis depends on many factors, such as the total quantity consumed and time until treatment.
If your dog receives veterinarian care within a few hours, she/he may make a full recovery. The main concern here for veterinarians is kidney damage.
Most veterinarians will first try to remove any grape pieces from the dog’s system if possible, and then define the spread of poison by obstructing absorption, so that the kidneys are not affected. This procedure may begin with vomiting, the use of physical absorptive agents like activated charcoal, and fluid therapy.
Follow this list provided by Dr. Jill A. Richardson to ensure you can act quickly when your precious pet displays grape toxicity signs:
- Save contact information of your veterinarian.
- Provide the necessary information for your veterinarian.
- Create an emergency home kit for your puppy.
- Don’t panic in the event of a poisoning.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately.
Which Fruits are Safe for your Dog?
Although raisins and grapes are harmful to your dog, there are some berries and fruits you can feed them without concern. Such as strawberries, blueberries, peaches, mangoes, and other fruits that are low in sugar. Instead of grapes and raisins, you can give sweet potatoes to your dog.
So, go have fun with your wonderful pet and just keep them away from grapes and raisins. We’ll be happy to get your comments on our articles.
Send us your information and receive PDF of this article
Send your request
Consumers around the world are looking for healthier options for snacks. Hazelnuts, also known as