10 best recipes with pistachio paste
Pistachio is one of the most delicious and healthful nuts that is the main ingredient of many products, such as pistachio paste or pistachio butter. Both products carry the health benefits of pistachio and can add its taste to many dishes. From delicious ice cream to pistachio cookies, here you can find 10 best recipes with pistachio paste.
What is pistachio paste?
Pistachio paste is made by grinding pistachio kernels in a food processor until it turns into a nice and smooth cream. To make it smoother, sometimes a little bit water is added to it. Making pistachio paste at home is so simple. You only need a blender and a bunch of peeled pistachios.
10 best recipes with pistachio paste
1. Pistachio Ice Cream
Pistachio Ice Cream Ingredients
- ½ cup pistachio paste
- 2 cups milk (full-fat milk is preferred)
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup pistachios (shelled, unsalted, toasted, and chopped)
- 1 cup whipping cream
Instructions to make pistachio ice cream at home
- With a mixer, gently mix ½ cup of pistachio paste with ¼ cup sugar. Make sure that your pistachio paste doesn’t have any additives. If you don’t have pistachio paste, you can grind 1 cup of pistachios with ¼ cup sugar in a blender to make a paste.
- When finely mixed, add milk to this mixture and pour it in a large pan and put it over heat to boil.
- After a few minutes, when the mixture boiled completely, add almond extract to it and remove from heat.
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolks with remained sugar (1/2 cup sugar) and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually, add the egg mixture to the hot milk mixture and mix them completely to make a custard.
- Put the custard in another pan and cook over low heat until it thickens. Usually, 10 minutes is enough if you put it over low heat. But don’t leave it over heat for a long time, we don’t want it to boil. Furthermore, make sure to stir it every once.
- After removing from the heat, strain the mixture in a large bowl and leave it to cool down. Then, put it in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Add the chopped pistachios and whipping cream to the custard and put the mixture in an ice cream maker. Process it according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Put the processed ice cream in the freezer. The ice cream is ready to be eaten the next day.
Ingredients (for macaron shells)
- 2/3 cup ground almond flour (equal to 60 grams) (blanched almond flour is preferred)
- 1/3 cup ground pistachio flour (equal to 40 grams)
- ¾ cup sugar (equal to 40 grams, powdered sugar is preferred)
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon green gel food coloring (optional, to add color to the macarons)
Ingredients (for filling)
- 3 teaspoons unsalted and pure pistachio paste (equal to 20 grams)
- 1/3 cup sugar (equal to 65 grams)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water (30 ml)
- 55 grams unsalted butter
How to make pistachio macarons at home? (Macaron Shells)
- Gradually, mix almond flour, pistachio flour and powdered sugar in a large bowl. When completely mixed, set it aside. To make a lighter and airy shell for macarons, first sift these ingredients twice through a find mesh sieve, then mix it.
- Using a mixer, completely mix the egg whites in a large bowl until it gets foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue to beat.
- Leave the egg white in room temperature at least for 2 hours. If you have time, put it in the fridge overnight.
- Add sugar to this mixture. Remember to add it one spoon at a time and mix with medium speed.
- When the mixture becomes hard enough, add the food coloring and completely beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Sift the flour mixture over the egg white and mix gently with a spatula. Don’t overdo this step, you only need to scrape the stuff at the bottom of the bowl and lift it up on top. To make sure it is mixed enough, put the spatula inside the bowl and take it out, if a thick ribbon of batter flows off the spatula, it means you have mixed it enough.
- In this step, you need a pastry bag to shape the macaron shells. Therefore, transfer the batter into the pastry bag and pipe out round shapes on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. The number of shells depends on how big you pipe the batter. But make sure it’s even because we need two shells for each macaron.
- Leave them up to 30 minutes in room temperature to dry. Then, put it in the oven with 150 degrees C or 300 degree F. Preheat the oven for 10 minutes.
- Macaron shells will be baked in 20 minutes.
- Leave them from the oven and let them cool down for 15 minutes. Then, remove them from the baking sheets.
(Making Macaron Filling)
- Now it’s time to prepare the pistachio cream. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water thoroughly and heat it over medium heat. When the sugar is completely dissolved, higher the heat and cook the mixture until it turns into a syrup.
- Using a mixer with low speed, beat the egg yolks for 2 minutes. Slowly add the syrup to the egg yolks and increase the speed to medium high. Mix until it becomes smooth and white.
- Add the butter and pistachio paste one tablespoon at a time and continue mixing until nice and smooth.
- Transfer the cream into a pastry bag and pipe it over macaron shells. Put the other shells over the cream and put it in the fridge and serve them the next day.
3. Pistachio Raspberry French Cake
- Pistachio paste: 1 tsp
- Almond powder: 50 grams
- Egg whites: 125 grams
- Unsalted butter: 125 grams
- Flour: 50 grams
- Raspberries: 250 grams
- Icing sugar: 150 grams
How to make pistachio raspberry French cake?
- Melt the butter in a pan until it oozes a nutty smell. Then leave it aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, almond powder, and sugar. Add the egg whites and mix again. Then add the mixture to the melted butter and stir thoroughly.
- Add the pistachio paste to this mixture and whisk again.
- Fill the molds with the dough. Using a spoon, make a small hole in each cake to put the raspberries inside.
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Put the cakes in the oven and bake them 15 minutes.
4. Vanilla and Pistachio Cupcake
Ingredients for pistachio cupcake:
- Pistachio paste: 1 tbsp
- 3 eggs
- Butter: 150 grams
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Cream cheese: 120 grams
- Sugar: 150 grams
- Icing sugar: 1 tbsp
- All purpose flour: 190 grams
- Almond paste
- Food coloring (optional)
Directions to make vanilla and pistachio cupcake:
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and sugar. If you use a blender, the result will be smoother.
- In the next step, add the melted butter and vanilla. Then, gradually add the flour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Fill the cupcake baking sheets with the mixture and put it in the oven, and bake for 25 minutes. After they are baked, leave them to cool thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk the cheese with the 50 grams of butter. Add the pistachio paste and icing sugar and mix until they obtain a homogenous look. Put the mixture in the refrigerator.
Now if you want to decorate your cupcake with almond paste flowers, follow these steps:
- Mix a small amount of white almond paste with food coloring (yellow or any other color, depends on your choice).
- Make small balls with this mixture and set aside. We need one ball for each cupcake.
- Make even smaller balls with the rest of the mixture. To make a flower, we need up to 5 small balls for each cupcake. Flatten these balls and stick them around the first balls we made in the previous step.
- Now it’s time to bring the mixture from the refrigerator and pour it in a pastry bag to decorate each cupcake.
- In the final step, add the flowers over the pistachio cupcakes.
5. Pistachio Cake with Orange Cream
- Unsalted butter: 1 ½ sticks
- All-purpose flour: 1 ½ cups
- Pistachio paste: ½ cup (5 ounces)
- Unsalted chopped pistachios: 1 ¼ cups (7 ounces)
- Sugar: 1 cup and 1 tsp
- Kosher salt: ¼ tsp
- Baking powder: 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- 3 eggs
- Orange zest (grated) ½ tsp
- Sour cream: ¼ cup
- Mascarpone: ½ cup
- Chopped candied oranges and honey for garnish
How to make pistachio cake with orange cream?
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the butter, 1 cup of sugar, vanilla extract, and pistachio paste until they become homogenous. It’s better to use a handheld blender to mix these ingredients to have a fluffy dough.
- Add the eggs and blend the mixture at low speed.
- Pour a small amount of flour and butter on a cake pan.
- Spread the batter in the pan and put it in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes.
- When it is ready, take it out and let it cool for 2 hours.
In this time, you can make the cream:
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, mascarpone, and the remaining sugar until completely mixed. Then, add the orange zest and continue mixing.
- Decorate your cake with this cream, honey, and chopped pistachios.
- Your cake is ready to serve.
6. Frozen Pistachio Pie
Ingredients for frozen pistachio pie:
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- Pistachio paste: ½ cup (156g)
- Confectioners’ sugar: ¾ cup (85g)
- Heavy cream: 1 ¼ cups (283g)
- Unsalted butter: 6 tbsp
- Sugar: 1/3 cup (67g)
- Salt: ¼ tsp
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Cocoa: ¼ cup
- Unbleached all-purpose flour: 1 cup
- Chopped shelled salted pistachios for dressing: ¼ cup
1. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, salt, cocoa, and all-purpose flour to make a paste. When they are evenly mixed and smoothed, press them into the bottom of a greased pie pan. It’s better to be 9 inches because of the thickness of this cake.
2. Put the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the pan from the freezer and put it in the oven. Bake it for 15 to 20 minutes. You will smell the chocolate when it’s ready. Then, transfer it from the oven and leave it in the room temperature to cool.
5. In a heatproof bowl, mix eggs, egg yolks, and confectioners’ sugar.
6. If you have a larger bowl, fill it with boiling water and place the bowl into it and mix until thickened.
7. When they are thoroughly mixed and thickened, add pistachio paste and evenly combine.
8. Place the bowl in a pan filled with iced water to cool the mixture. Continue stirring.
9. In another bowl, blend the heavy cream, then fold it into the cooled pistachio mixture.
- Add the cream over the crust and freeze it for 6 hours.
7. Chocolate Pistachio Cake
- 4 eggs (separated yolks and egg whites)
- Pistachio paste: 2 tbsp
- Milk: 1 cup (200 milliliter)
- All-purpose flour: 125 grams
- Sugar: 125 grams
- Dark chocolate: 180 grams
- Water: 1 cup
- Cream: 2 cups
- Gelatin: 4 sheets
- 2 extra egg yolks
How to make chocolate pistachio cake:
- Using a blending machine, mix the 4 egg whites until they become fluffy. Add the yolks and continue blending. Then, add flour and sugar gradually.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Then pour the batter in a pan and put it in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Then, remove the cake and cut it into two layers.
- Pour the milk and dark chocolate in a pan and mix them over the heat until the chocolate melts. Add the gelatin sheets, which you have to soften in water before. The gelatins need to be in the water for a few minutes to become soft.
- Put the mixture in room temperature to cool. Then, add the cream to it and mix it evenly.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the first layer of cake and place the next layer over it. Put the cake in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Combine the milk and pistachio paste in a pan over the heat until it starts boiling.
- Add the remained egg yolks (we had two extra egg yolks in our ingredients) and sugar to the boiling milk. Cook until it thickens. Add the two sheets of gelatins, which have been softened in some water. Let the mixture cool.
- Add the cream to this mixture and completely mix. Pour it over the cake and put the cake to the refrigerator overnight.
- For the topping of the cake, you can use the melted chocolate with cream.
8. Chocolate pistachio mousse
- 3 eggs
- Pistachio paste: 1 tsp
- Pistachios (chopped): 3 kernels
- Dark chocolate (melted): 100 grams
- Double cream: 2 tbsp
How to make chocolate pistachio mousse:
- Mix the melted chocolate with three egg yolks.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites and combine it with the pistachio paste.
- Add the egg white mixture to the chocolate mixture.
- Pour it in different glasses and put them in the refrigerator for almost half an hour.
- Add the cream and chopped pistachios as the decoration and put them back to the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Your chocolate pistachio mousse is ready to serve.
9. Pistachio cookies
Ingredients for pistachio cookies:
- Pistachio paste: ½ cup
- Raw pistachios (chopped): 1/3 cup
- Vanilla dough: 1 log
- Unsalted butter: 4 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Mix pistachio paste and butter until you have a smooth mixture.
- Unwrap the dough and slice it in different pieces. This recipe is for almost 18 cookies, so you can slice the dough into 18 pieces.
- Roll each slice between the palms of your hands and press them into chopped pistachios. The pistachios should coat half of each ball.
- Place the balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet with pistachio side up.
- Put them into the oven and let bake for 10 minutes. Check to see if they are golden. Then remove and gently flatten each ball using a wooden spoon.
- Put the cookies into the oven again for the next 10 minutes. Remove them when they are golden brown. Let cool.
- Decorate each cookie with the pistachio cream you made before.
10. Pistachio chocolate balls
- Pistachio paste: 150 grams
- Shelled pistachios: 150 grams
- Honey: 20 grams
- Milk chocolate: 100 grams
- Grapeseed oil: 25 grams
- Heavy cream: 125 grams
- Dark chocolate: 350 grams
- Cocoa butter: 20 grams
- Feuilletine: 20 grams
- Salt: 1 pinch
- In a large bowl, mix pistachio paste, honey, milk chocolate, and a pinch of salt. Put the heavy cream over the heat to boil and add it to this mixture. Use a hand blender to make a uniform and consistent mixture.
- Leave the mixture for a few hours to cool. Then add fuilletine and mix again.
- Fill silicone molds with this mixture, which is going to be the filling for the chocolate balls. The molds need to be round so we can have chocolate balls in the end.
- Put a whole shelled pistachio kernel to half of the cavities. For example, if you have 20 round molds filled with chocolate mixture, you need to put the kernels in 10 of them. Put the molds in the freezer for an hour.
- Melt dark chocolate and cocoa butter in a bowl. Add chopped pistachios to it and mix until uniform.
- Take the mold out of the freezer. Release the spheres from the mold and attach every two spheres to make a ball.
- Dip each chocolate ball in the melted chocolate. You can use a fork in this stage but need to be careful to avoid ruining them or separating them into the halves.
- Place each chocolate-coated ball on a parchment paper to let the coating set.
- The chocolate balls are ready to serve. You can put them in the refrigerator to serve later.
Pistachio paste is mostly used in confectioneries to make delicious cakes and cookies. Most of the recipes with pistachio paste are so simple that you can easily make them at home. You only need to prepare the main ingredients and follow the steps and directions for making each cake. To start your journey, you can buy pistachio kernels and make pistachio paste at home. Then, use this paste to make delicious homemade cakes.